The HIE Help Center is pleased to offer a biannual scholarship for a student (or a small team of students) who is committed to helping people with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), cerebral palsy (CP), or another neonatal injury. Being personally impacted by HIE or another disability is not a requirement, as the scholarship focuses on the applicant’s goals to support those who are affected. However, students with disabilities are certainly welcome and encouraged to apply.
A scholarship for financial assistance in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded to a student or small group of students collaborating on a project. Scholarship recipients may include the following:
- Medical, nursing, or rehabilitative medicine and therapy students
- Students studying special education
- Students planning to work in disability rights law or advocacy
- Students aspiring to become caregivers or social workers
- Students studying to be adaptive recreation specialists
- Any other goal/academic pursuit that involves helping people with neonatal injuries and/or disabilities
Applications are reviewed twice a year, with the deadlines of July 31st and January 1st. The scholarship will be awarded to an applicant or group who submits the following required items. Funds will be sent directly to the winner’s school.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S citizen or legal resident
- Not be a past, present, or future client of ABC Law Centers (the firm sponsoring the HIE Help Center)
- Be seeking or in the process of completing higher education (either as an undergraduate or graduate student). High school seniors are also welcome to apply if they already know which college or university they will be attending.
- Have a GPA of at least 2.75
Applicants must submit the following:
- A completed application (click here)
- Academic records (transcripts)
- An essay or creative project about your experience with birth injuries. Examples include videos, photographs with explanations, or any other creative submission you’d like.
Please send all application materials (listed above) in ONE email to:
- [email protected]
- Use the subject line: HIE Help Center Scholarship Application [YOUR LAST NAME]