The HIE Help Center is pleased to offer an annual scholarship for a student (or a small team of students) who is committed to helping people with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), cerebral palsy (CP), or another neonatal injury. Being personally impacted by HIE or another disability is not a requirement, as the scholarship focuses on the applicant’s goals to support those who are affected. However, students with disabilities are certainly welcome and encouraged to apply.
A scholarship for financial assistance in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded each year to a student or small group of students collaborating on a project. Scholarship recipients may include the following:
- Medical, nursing, or rehabilitative medicine and therapy students
- Students studying special education
- Students planning to work in disability rights law or advocacy
- Students aspiring to become caregivers or social workers
- Students studying to be adaptive recreation specialists
- Any other goal/academic pursuit that involves helping people with neonatal injuries and/or disabilities
The 2019 scholarship will be awarded to an applicant or group who submits the following required items by July 31, 2019. Funds will be sent directly to the winner’s school.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S citizen or legal resident
- Not be a past, present, or future client of Reiter & Walsh, P.C. (the firm sponsoring the HIE Help Center)
- Be seeking or in the process of completing higher education (either as an undergraduate or graduate student)
- Have a GPA of at least 2.75
Applicants must submit by July 31, 2019:
- A completed application (click here)
- Academic records (transcripts)
- An essay or creative project about your experience with birth injuries. Examples include videos, photographs with explanations, or any other creative submission you’d like.
Please note that although our internal team will be selecting finalists, we will leave determination of the winner up to our readers (in an online voting system). Therefore, to apply for this scholarship, you must consent to have your essay/creative project published on our website and social media accounts. The rest of your materials (application form and transcripts) will remain confidential.
The application materials (listed above) should be emailed to:
- [email protected]
- Subject Line: HIE Help Center Scholarship Application [YOUR LAST NAME]
For materials that cannot be sent electronically (such as official transcripts), applicants may send materials to:
- Genevieve Kotasek
- Attn: HIE Help Center Scholarship
- 122 Concord Road
- Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304