Welcome to the HIE Help Center Resources List! Here, we list all the resources we’ve found online that we haven’t found a place for elsewhere on the site! We’re always trying to expand our link library, so if you have resources you think other HIE parents should know about, send us an email, and we’ll add it to the growing resource list! For support groups, click here.
Parent Perspectives (General Special Needs)
- HIE Parenting Book and Blog: What I Would Tell You
- TopMommyBlogs.com: Top Special Needs Blogs
- Abilities.com: Resources for Parenting Special Needs Kids
- Top 13 Viral Special Needs Parenting Posts!
- MySpecialChild Online: Parent Blog
- Reaching Beyond Autism
- Parent-Led Support Group Listings
- [Film Project] Including Samuel
Neurology and Medical Information
- Birth Asphyxia: Neurology Guide
- NeoBrain Parents: What to Expect from the NICU and Hypothermia Therapy
- OAS, CMSS, Clearinghouse on Disability Information
- Developmental Disabilities Resource Center
- National Council on Disability
- Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
- ECTA Center (formerly NECTAC): Part C provides resources for Early Intervention ages 0-3
- ChildFind (a state-by-state program) helps evaluate children who may need Early Intervention services
Special Needs Parenting Publications and Books
- Special Needs Parenting Magazine
- Complex Child Magazine (Online)
- Becoming a Medical Mom
- What I Would Tell You
- eParent (Exceptional Parent)
Special Needs Organizations
For HIE-, NICU- and special needs-specific support groups, please visit our Support Groups page.
- The Arc (For People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities)
- CPNow Foundation: Advanced cerebral palsy research and providing parental education materials.
- CP Daily Living: A site devoted to living with cerebral palsy.
- United Cerebral Palsy: While UCP retains a name relating to cerebral palsy, they now provide services to individuals with a much broader array of diagnoses.
- Wings of an Angel (helps children with special needs receive therapies, services and equipment)
- Top 10 Special Needs Organizations
- Funding Resources for Special Needs & Adaptive Equipment
- [LovethatMax] 22 Free Things, Services and Grants for Kids with Special Needs
- The Preemie Parent Alliance represents the needs and best interests of preemie families in all facets of healthcare policy, care guidelines, advocacy, education and family support.
- The Family Advocacy Network (FAN): Sponsored by the National Perinatal Association, this group seeks to empower parents and families and encourage advocacy.