Welcome to the HIE Help Center Resource Guide! This section of our site houses downloadable packets, videos and multimedia, helpful links, and more. In addition to looking through these resources, you may want to head over to our blog for news related to HIE and other disabilities, or check out our guest posts on the HIE Help Center Community!
Quick Links to Information About HIE
- HIE Resource Downloads: This page has downloadable tip sheets and guides addressing a variety of topics related to medicine, care, and legal matters.
- Online Resources and Links: Links to a variety of other websites that parents may want to check out.
- Glossary: Our glossary includes terms and definitions related to HIE and disability.
- Multimedia: On this page, you can find videos, podcasts, and infographics about HIE and related disabilities.
Quick Reference: Key Topics of Interest
- What is HIE? This page includes information on causes, risk factors, signs and symptoms, diagnosis, treatments and therapies, associated conditions, long-term outcomes, and more.
- Therapeutic Hypothermia: This page discusses a treatment that can prevent lasting brain damage from HIE when given very shortly after birth (usually within six hours).
- Getting Help When You Need It: This page provides some options for caregivers, such as respite care and family assistance.
- Support Groups: There are many support groups for parents of children with HIE and other disabilities, some that meet in-person and others that meet online. Here are just a few options.
- Know Your Rights: Three Important Federal Laws that Protect People with Disabilities: Legal terminology related to disability rights can be very confusing, and sometimes this makes it difficult for parents to know how to advocate for their children. Here, we discuss the three major federal laws that protect people with disabilities: the Rehabilitation Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- HIE Help Center Scholarship: Each year, we award a $1,000 scholarship to an individual or small organization that is committed to helping people with HIE and similar injuries.
- Stem Cell Therapy: This page discusses stem cell therapy, and how it may be able to reduce symptoms of HIE and related conditions.
- Cerebral Palsy Cost Guide: This interactive guide can help parents estimate some of the major expenses associated with raising a child who has cerebral palsy, HIE, or another disability. It can be used as a tool in financial planning.
- HIE Help Center Sitemap: This shows all the major topics we cover on our website.